Jefferson Davis was notified by telegraph that he had been chosen as provisional President of the Confederate States of America. When I think of Jefferson Davis, the first thing that comes to my mind is television icon Jefferson Davis Hogg..... that's Boss Hogg of The Dukes of Hazzard fame. In honor of this momentous occasion I give you my top 5 favorite supporting characters from the Dukes of Hazzard.
5. Daisy Duke - While some might consider Daisy a main character, I still had to include her here. Why? Because I'm a red blooded American male. What little boy didn't want to grow up to marry Daisy Duke? For the record, I liked the Jeep better than the yellow Road Runner too.
4. Coy and Vance Duke - The epitome of second class characters. There are still a lot of people who don't know that for 1982-1983 that Bo and Luke's "cousins" were the stars as John Schneider and Tom Wopat were in contract disputes with CBS.
3. Enos Strate - Enos was a lovable deputy who had grown up with the Dukes, and always seemed to find himself in an ethical dilemma when it came time to do his job. It was particularly hard when Daisy regularly seduced the poor fella to buy some time for Bo and Luke. The main reason I include Enos is for his coining of one of my all time favorite expressions, "possum on a gum bush."
2. Lulu Hogg - Take Roscoe's sister and wed her to Boss Hogg and hilarity ensues. Like Enos, Lulu is also friendly with the Dukes, sometimes yielding an interesting relationship between here and Boss. My favorite pet name for Lulu as given by Boss: "Sugarplum Puddin"
1. Cooter Davenport - Honestly, he should be number 1 on name alone. Cooter was actually a very complex character. He was always there for the Dukes. In his cutoff shirt and perfectly worn ball cap, Cooter could fix anything. He was also the father of The General Lee as told in the episode "Happy Birthday General Lee." Cooter's best trait though, was his CB radio call. It's a phrase that many years later I still have ingrained in my head, ""Breaker one, Breaker one, I might be crazy but I ain't dumb, Craaaazy Cooter comin' atcha, any y'all Dukes out there on the Hazzard net? Come on"
Y'all take it easy,